When you imagine a luxury home, there’s a good chance a pool is in the backyard. As with houses, pools range from plain to luxurious beyond your wildest imagination. The team at Old Town Pool and Patio is dedicated to helping you bring your dream pool to life. Whether that means you want a luxurious lap pool with a built-in spa or a luxurious infinity pool complete with a swim-up bar, we have the perfect solutions for your needs.
What is a Luxury Pool?
While most people would agree that any pool seems like a luxurious option to have, there are some defining features that help set apart a luxury pool from a standard swimming pool. However, what these features are or what looks set this distinction apart is often in the hands of the individual who is looking at or using the pool.
While there is no set definition of what constitutes a luxury pool, there are several characteristics that help set these pools apart. For example, the use of high-end pool features such as decorative rain walls or stylistic elements such as grottos can set a pool apart from the rest. While the definition of luxury depends on the individual, we can all agree that luxury pools are set apart by their relentless attention to detail and use of special water features.
What Water Features can be added to a Luxury Pool?
A pool can be so much more than a place to swim. Pool owners have many water features they can add to their pools. Whether for functionality or looks, there are plenty of options available. Below we have included some popular pool water features.
A perimeter overflow is where a pool’s water level is the same height as its edges. Water splashed out of the pool is caught in tanks or basins and recycled back in. These pools have a smooth, glass-like finish that imbues them with a feeling of luxury. A perimeter overflow pool is slightly different from an infinity pool.
Caves and Grottos
Caves and grottos are a way to add a slice of paradise to your backyard. A pool grotto is a rocky area by your pool that often incorporates a waterfall. Grottos are commonly made from artificial rock, although real rock is sometimes used. Some grottos have features such as a cave or a slide.
Using fire around your pool creates a bold statement—timeless while evoking feelings of a time gone by. There are many ways you can incorporate fire features around your pool, whether you have a fire bowl, a linear fire, or other custom fire element.
A pool viewing panel is a transparent wall that allows you to see into your pool from the side. It is a unique conversation piece and an excellent way to make your pool stand out from a standard pool.
Laminar jets are a stream of water projected into your pool. Light at the base of the stream is carried through the stream to provide a stunning effect. Some of the drawbacks to laminar jets include their susceptibility to wind and the steady noise they make.
Who doesn’t love a pool slide? They add fun and excitement to your pool. There are many shapes, sizes, and colors on the market. There are even natural-looking slides available if you’re looking to blend your slide into the landscape. It is important to keep in mind that your pool will need to be deep enough for a slide to be safely used.
A sun shelf allows people to relax in shallow water. You can make them even more enjoyable by adding features such as umbrellas and sun lounger chairs.
A common feature of resorts, a swim-up bar can give your pool a luxurious touch. It is a great way to socialize with guests while creating a memorable experience. A swim-up bar could even be the focal point of your pool.
Yoga decks are a great place for fans of Yoga to exercise in a peaceful poolside setting. It is also an excellent location to dry off and relax.
Luxury Pool Automation
If you’ve owned a pool or know someone who has, you know that pools can be a lot of work. Between balancing chemicals and cleaning, maintaining a pool can be very time-consuming. Thanks to modern technology, many aspects of a pool can be automated. While automation won’t make your pool completely hands-off, it can make things a lot easier. In the following sections, we’ve included ways you can automate some of the functions of your pool.
Automatic Pool Cleaner
Automatic pool cleaning may seem like something out of science fiction, but it is readily available. There are three main types of automatic pool cleaners available.
- Robotic Pool Cleaners: A robotic pool cleaner is a self-propelled device that drives along the bottom of your pool. They are available in a wide variety of price points. It is important to note that a robotic pool cleaner must still be placed in and removed from the pool. While a robotic pool cleaner won’t make pool cleaning completely hands-off, it can make things easier on you, especially if you have a large pool to clean.
- Suction Pool Cleaners: Like robotic pool cleaners, suction pool cleaners move along the bottom of the pool. These are often the least expensive option of the three. A suction pool cleaner runs off of your pool’s filter, so it will need to be attached to a suction port such as a vacuum line.
- Pressure Pool Cleaners: Pressure pool cleaners are the most popular type of pool cleaners. As with robotic and suction pool cleaners, pressure pool cleaners travel along the bottom of the pool. There are two types of pressure pool cleaners on the market:
- Booster pump-powered cleaners: The more powerful and faster of the two pressure pool cleaners, booster pump-powered cleaners are automatic and able to shut themselves off.
- Filter pump cleaners: Filter pump cleaners are slower and less powerful than booster pump-powered cleaners. They also have to be detached and removed by hand to turn them on and off.
Automatic Pool Sanitation Systems
Keeping a pool clean isn’t just about looks; it is also vital to the protection of your health. As with traditional pool sanitation systems, there are several types of automatic sanitation systems available. Please note pools may require additional methods alongside sanitation systems to keep them clean.
- UV Pool Sanitation Systems: UV pool sanitation systems utilize UV lights to eliminate pathogens in your pool. A UV pool sanitation system alone isn’t enough to keep your pool clean.
- Ozone Pool Sanitation System: Ozone pool sanitation systems utilize ozone to inactivate and kill viruses, bacteria, and parasites. It does this in the circulation system of the pool. Please note that ozone isn’t safe for people or animals. When the circulated water is returned to the pool, the ozone level should be very low or non-existent. If you use an ozone pool sanitation system, it is important to make sure that the ozone has left the pool before it is used. Be advised that certain places have laws that mandate the use of ozone detectors. Generally, an ozone pool sanitation system alone isn’t enough to have a pool safely sanitized and may need to be supplemented.
- Saltwater Chlorinator System: A saltwater chlorinator system converts salt into chlorine. Please note that salt can negatively affect concrete pools with plaster finishes and vinyl liner pools with metal walls.
- Pool Ionizer System: A pool ionizer, also known as a pool mineral sanitizer, generally uses silver and copper ions to eliminate algae and bacteria in a pool. Please note that pool ionizers alone aren’t effective enough by themselves to make a pool safe for swimming.
Automatic Pool Chemistry
Having the right level of pool chemicals is a critical part of keeping your pool functioning correctly. A pool with the wrong chemical balance can not only make your pool gross, but it can also make you sick. Rather than manually balancing your pool’s chemicals, systems are available that automatically monitor and modify the chemical balance of your pool as needed.
Automatic Pool Covers
A pool cover is an essential part of helping to keep your pool clean. If you’ve ever put a pool cover on, you know how tricky and time-consuming it can be. Enter automated pool covers. With the push of a button, you can protect your pool without having to step foot in it. Automatic pool covers aren’t just limited to classic rectangular pools; they can also be applied to freeform pools.
Control your Swimming Pool with your Smartphone or Tablet
You can do so much with your smartphone or tablet nowadays. Why not use them to control elements of your luxury pool? By using your smart devices, you can keep tabs on your pool and control it from a distance.
Remote Control Pool Lighting
Pool lighting can change the look and feel of your pool. Whether you want a relaxing color or something vibrant and fun for a party, the look you want is just a smartphone or tablet away with smart device-compatible remote control pool lighting.
Remote Control Pool Water Heater
Few things say luxury like having a pool at your preferred temperature. With a smart-device-controlled remote control water heater, you can have your pool at the optimal temperature before you even go outside.
Remote Control Variable Speed Pool Pumps
A pump is a critical component of your pool system. Without it, water would not be able to circulate through the filter. With a remote control variable speed pool pump, you can control when the pump is activated and at what speed it runs.
Why Should I Invest in a Luxury Swimming Pool?
While it most likely won’t pay for itself if you go to sell your home, a luxury pool may add value to your property. Whether entertaining guests or taking it easy, a luxury pool is an investment in fun and relaxation.
What to Expect from a Luxury Pool Designer?
Ideally, a luxury pool designer will get to know your needs and goals for your pool. When you come to us for a luxury pool, our experienced employees will guide you through the process. With years of designing and pool-building experience, our team has the knowledge and experience to create a spectacular luxury pool that you will love.
The Luxury Pool Design Process
Our designers put themselves into your shoes, acting as if your pool and home were ours. The team’s combined experience allows us to create awe-inspiring and boundary-pushing designs that will amaze you. We can bring out your creative vision to help you realize your dream pool.
3D Pool Design Software
To help design your pool, we utilize impressive 3D pool design software. This software lets you see what your pool and its surrounding features will look like from all kinds of angles before we break ground.
Ready to Build Your Dream Luxury Pool?
A dream pool looks different to everyone. At Old Town Pool and Patio, we will bring your dream to life. Our team can create one-off pools with incredible luxury features. We believe in giving our customers exceptional care and building our pools with durable materials. Using incredible 3D design software, we’ll work with you to create an extraordinary pool. When it comes to luxury, we have you covered.